St Laurence’s College has established an Emergency Services Cadet unit onsite at the College.
The Emergency Services Cadet program is delivered in partnership with Police Citizens Youth Clubs Queensland and Queensland’s emergency services such as:
- Queensland Fire and Rescue Service
- Queensland Ambulance Service
- Queensland Rural Fire Service
- Queensland Police Service
- State Emergency Service
- Queensland Surf Life Saving
- Volunteer Marine Rescue Queensland
- Emergency Management Queensland
The program is offered to youths between ages of 12 to 17 and gives young people an opportunity for a career in emergency services and volunteering. It gives young Queenslanders an opportunity to experience a wider range of emergency service skills, to really give them a taste for the roles available to them and greater interaction with serving staff. It also serves well to complement the Service Learning program and ethos here at St Laurence’s College.
The unit meets regularly on Friday afternoons and has worked in conjunction with a number of emergency services for training this year.
Training activities have include:
- A first aid course delivered to all cadets and staff by Queensland Surf Life Saving
- Training with SES Eastern Group at Morningside
- Training the Rural Fire Service
- A visit and introduction to the Queensland Police Service at Dutton Park Station
- Training with Volunteer Marine Rescue Queensland and Queensland Surf Life Saving
The unit also looks to support community activities where possible. Cadets also have the opportunity to complete units towards a Certificate II in Public Safety.
The Emergency Services Cadet program is an exciting opportunity for students here at St Laurence’s College. We hope that the students who join the program learn and grow as individuals, and ultimately, make valuable contributions to the wider community now and into the future. We would hope that many of our cadets go on to roles as volunteers or employed members of Queensland Emergency Services.
For more information about St Laurence’s College Emergency Services Cadets, please email: email@example.com