St Laurence’s College strives to grow in fidelity to the vision and mission of founder of the Christian Brothers, Br Edmund Ignatius Rice.
We pursue the ‘presence, compassion, liberation’ philosophy of Catholic schools in the Edmund Rice tradition. This tradition is outlined on the Edmund Rice Education Australia website (www.erea.edu.au).
Spirituality is a foundational, cultural characteristic of the Edmund Rice Education Charter because it permeates all that we do and even who we are becoming. It expresses Edmund’s vision of ‘liberation for life to the full’ (John 10:10).
While reverence is paid to the individual journey of each person, the College lives out spirituality in numerous contexts. This includes:
- The pastoral attention to all members of the College community.
- Celebration of the sacred in Eucharist, other liturgies and rituals, retreats, regular prayer, meditation, and sacramentals.
- Academic engagement with Religion subjects and other curricula.
- The Service Learning Program of outreach to and connection with the marginalised.
- Pilgrimage to World Youth Day.